Our mission is to improve health and well-being through increased health and emotional literacy.
- We believe that self-care skills are an essential component for good physical, mental and social health and well-being.
- We believe that feelings, both physical sensations and emotions, inform and guide self-care.
- We believe that in order to be able to read and respond to our feelings, we need understanding and skills.
- We believe that everyone can learn how to improve their skills and understanding.
This is at the heart of everything we do and is based on our belief that health is a state of physical, mental and social well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Our understanding is aligned with how the World Health Organisation defines health.
Put simply, our mission is based on the belief that you can affect your health and well-being by learning and practising the skills of health and emotional literacy. This is why The Helpful Clinic is a social enterprise. Learn more about what that means here.
Want to know why you need to know your First Aid for Feelings? Find out more here.
Our sustainability pledge
In the same way we advocate for good self-care for ourselves, we advocate for good care for our planet. We commit to the circular economy.
These are our sustainability goals:
- We use local suppliers where possible to help the environment and support the local economy. For instance, we commission local designers and service providers.
- We source, where possible, paper stock that is at least FSC certified and where possible 100% post-consumer recycled with FSC recycled and EU eco label certifications.
- We source, to the best of our ability, materials that are considerate to the environment. When that’s not possible, we seek to offset any negative environmental impact.
- We collaborate with, contribute to and promote social ventures. For example, our office is in the Future Business Centre, a purpose-built environmentally sustainable building for businesses with a social purpose.
Want to learn more?
Here are a few blogs to help you understand more about the ideas underpinning our work.
- A letter from the founder: Thor A Rain established The Helpful Clinic in response to their own personal experience with chronic illness. Read more on our blog.
- Our Compass: Inspired by their Icelandic seafaring roots, Thor has developed a ‘compass’ that guides how The Helpful Clinic works.
- Why are we a social venture? We commit to providing an ethical, sustainable, affordable service. A social venture structure binds us to this mission. We recognise the commitment you are making and want you to feel reassured that if this doesn’t work for you, we will refund your fee in full.